New TalkGroup on the fly

Get help with using the editor.
W7ML
Callsign: W7ML

New TalkGroup on the fly

Post by W7ML »

Is there a way to pre-program a "blank" or other suitable substitute Contact?

There are times I become aware of a TalkGroup that I would like to listen and talk on. Must I use CPEditor to add this TG and write to Radio, or can I use the keypad to add it ad hoc?
W7ML

Re: New TalkGroup on the fly

Post by W7ML »

I have also sent this question to Radioddity Technical Support and so far they have not understood the question properly, so I still await an answer (24 hours turnaround time for each email reply).

It's quite simple. I am driving with the DB25-D and the others in a conversation want to switch to a TalkGroup that is not already programmed into my codeplug.

How do I use the microphone keypad and radio buttons to program in this new TalkGroup, without a computer being available?

Of course, I pull over to safely change the TalkGroup.
MM7DBT
Site Admin
150posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Post by MM7DBT »

In short; You can't.

However.. it is possible but not as easy as you might think, especially while driving or for quick on-the-fly changes!
Since you cannot ADD NEW channels to the radio, from the radio. You can update existing ones.

So first, you would need a "blank" channel or one that you would want to edit.
Then you would have to add a new contact, entering the TG ID and Name.
Then edit the channel to use that new contact (Talkgroup)
That channel will now use the new talkgroup..

There is a Manual Dial feature.. but I believe that is private call only as I can't see a way of selecting call type.
Plus, manual dialling is all but useless as the contact call timeout only works if you receive a reply within the time set, otherwise it reverts to the default contact
Also there is no easy way to see what contact/talkgroup is active, especially with manual dialled ID's
-73 de MM7DBT
W7ML

Post by W7ML »

Ok, I am home late and tired, but appreciate your ideas. I will sleep on these and then study them and get back to you. Thank you.
W7ML

Post by W7ML »

MM7DBT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:56 pm In short; You can't.

However.. it is possible but not as easy as you might think, especially while driving or for quick on-the-fly changes!
Since you cannot ADD NEW channels to the radio, from the radio. You can update existing ones.

So first, you would need a "blank" channel or one that you would want to edit.
Then you would have to add a new contact, entering the TG ID and Name.
Then edit the channel to use that new contact (Talkgroup)
That channel will now use the new talkgroup..

There is a Manual Dial feature.. but I believe that is private call only as I can't see a way of selecting call type.
Plus, manual dialling is all but useless as the contact call timeout only works if you receive a reply within the time set, otherwise it reverts to the default contact
Also there is no easy way to see what contact/talkgroup is active, especially with manual dialled ID's
OK: I added a new "1-Blank" Contact and Rx_Group to my local DMR Repeater with an associated Channel. It looks promising...

Now, I have to study the 3 manuals to figure out how to get "inside" this Channel/Contact so that I can modify using the keys.

I am not sure how Manual Dial would be helpful here, so I will read up about Manual Dial, but you indicated that it will be all but useless in my situation.

Thank you for accommodating my needs.
W7ML

Post by W7ML »

Your hints lead me to a solution, which is indeed workable:

I have pre-programmed one or more "1-Blank" "2-Blank" etc. contacts at the end of the Contact list, with the next contact number in your Contact List, such as 212, 213, 214, etc. I also make this same Contact a Rx Group.

I then program this into a Channel/Zone for both Contact and Rx Group.

Now on the road, I want to add a new TalkGroup that is not already programmed into my Channel/Zone list.

I select the Channel for 1-Blank

Push P5 - which brings me to Contact Menu

Push Menu/OK/Select button which bring me to Contact List

Push Menu/OK/Select button which brings me to the beginning of my programmed Contact Lists.

Turn the Menu/OK/Select button one or more times counter-clockwise, which brings me to the 1-Blank (etc.) entry at the end of my Contact List

Push Menu/OK/Select button to reveal the Contact menu for this specific Contact; and the choices of SendMsg or Edit

Turn the Menu/OK/Select button until Edit is highlighted

Push Menu/OK/Select button and the Edit Menu reveals: Number, Name, Type and Save. Turn the Menu/OK/Select button to highlight Number and push the Menu/OK/Select button on Number.

Using the B/E key on the top of the radio, delete the programmed number one digit for each push of B/E; and then enter the new TalkGroup number using the keypad on the microphone. Push the Menu/OK/Select button to reveal the Edit menu selections again.

Turn the Menu/OK/Select button until Save is highlighted and Push Menu/OK/Select which should result in a "Contact Saved" screen.

Now use the B/E key to return to the selected 1Blank channel.

Turn the Menu/OK/Select button to go to a different channel and then use it again to return to the 1-Blank channel (this procedure puts the new Contact number into the radio's memory).

You should now be able to transmit and receive on this new Talkgroup!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, you cannot do this while driving, but certainly when in a safety zone or just portable, I will use this method to enter interesting TalkGroups on the fly without connecting a computer.

Thank you for inspiring me to find this solution!
VK2CRB

Post by VK2CRB »

Hi everyone, I have learnt this too late.
Just bought the radio but not intended to be used in a vehicle but as a base.
I set it up with mine Shark RF Hotspot and works well..............BUT.............I need to use the TYT MD2017 handheld to go Contact, manual, group call and that way I use it to change TG's I want to go to or talk to.
I used to have a TYT MD9600 and I could do that from the radio as the code plug was same as TYT MD2017 and Retevis RT 82 (this is also TYT MD2017 re badged as Retevis is only a marketing and sales operation, not an OEM of any kind).

I have the feeling will take some Chinese national to properly translate questions to them and see if the message sinks in their brains ?

Out of this topic, I find the screen too small for mobile.