Encryption

Give some feedback on using the editor. Positive or Negative :)
Nitro

Encryption

Post by Nitro »

I've been fighting programming my new GD-88 with the provided CPS.
I was directed to this CPEditor and it's a world of difference. THANK YOU!
I noticed that encryption tab is lacking from this software though. Is there any plan to add an encryption tab?
I understand if you don't want it readily available, perhaps a quazi hidden way to enable/disable the tab?

To address the naysayers that I usually get:
Before fellow HAMs jump down my throat with "encryption isn't allowed!!!" understand that I'm also a volunteer firefighter and yes, we ARE allowed on encrypted channels.
Also YES, I do have access to department radios, but any of you that have worked VFD know that it's the bottom of the barrel unwanted scraps from other depts. Our radios are pretty rough.
MM7DBT
Site Admin
150posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Re: Encryption

Post by MM7DBT »

Encryption was something that was intentionally left out of the original Python script due to it being aimed at HAM use.

However with the further development of my editor being more of a complete replacement of the CPS I have planned to add support for encryption, just haven't got around to it yet.
With Radioddity releasing the GD-88 I have spent my time making that radio compatible with the editor as well.
I do have the codeplug memory locations for the encryption codes, I just need to add a tab in the editor to read and write them.
For now you could read the codeplug with the CPS and add the encryption codes after using the editor, it shouldn't screw up any other settings.

I'm not even sure what encryption standard they use and if it would be compatible with any other radios, the CPS does mention that it is only between Kydera radios..
The Radioddity Extended Manual mentions that it is AES 128 but I'm not sure how that would work when the CPS only allows keys of 4 characters in Low or Medium or 12 characters in High or Enhanced.
AES 128 bit would want 32 characters :think:
-73 de MM7DBT
Nitro

Post by Nitro »

Yeah, the marketing on the Radioddity website shows AES 256 https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-gd-88, but I agree that with only 12 char, something is off.
The AES256 option played a big role in my pre-order as that's what I need for our encrypted channels (we have encrypted cross-talk with local PD).
If I could figure out how to plug the full key into the radio I'd test to see if the AES256 claim is accurate, but with the default CPS I can only get 12 char of the key.

I totally understand gearing your software towards HAM, that's why I recommended a quasi hidden tab for encryption to hopefully keep new HAMs out of trouble. For those of us with legitimate access it can be hard to get radios that will actually run proper encryption and don't break the bank. Motorola hates customers that don't buy brand new radios. Kenwood and EFJ can also be a pain to get working right, so the idea of a commercially available radio that doesn't cost a crazy amount AND can be used for HAM was too good to pass up. But now I just have to figure out how to get the encryption part working right.

If you don't mind letting me know when you get encryption implemented, that would be very appreciated.
Thank you for all you do, this part of HAM radio is well over my head, but I'm glad that people like you are able.
MM7DBT
Site Admin
150posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Post by MM7DBT »

Yeah even on the radio if you enter the channel settings and scroll down to the encryption setting, you are able to enter a key on the radio itself but again only allows 12 characters.

I tested it with the Anytone 878 encryption, standard, enhanced and AES but it doesn't work.

I'll reach out to Kydera and Radioddity and see if they can give any more info on what standard it's using.
-73 de MM7DBT
us5eqq
Callsign: us5eqq

Post by us5eqq »

veldogs
Callsign: KG7IDL

Post by veldogs »

us5eqq wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:37 pm arc4 is OK

https://radioprofi.com.ua/_fr/8/s4180877.jpg

https://radioprofi.com.ua/_fr/8/s7926820.jpg