Simplex channels

Report any bugs or errors you find here.
clewis.it
0posts
Callsign: KN6KFR

Simplex channels

Post by clewis.it »

Found an interesting bug, I think. I loaded a codeplug that includes the DMR simplex channels (let's use 441MHz for example). In the codeplug, I set transmit and receive frequencies to 441000000, and set the timeslots to 1, group calls, TG 99, everything looks right to me. When I load the codeplug, the radio shows all the same information *except* for the timeslots are set to "ON" instead of slot 1. I don't see this happening on any repeater channels, it only seems to be an issue with simplex. Any ideas on how to correct this issue?
MM7DBT
Site Admin
150posts
Callsign: MM7DBT

Re: Simplex channels

Post by MM7DBT »

Not really a bug but a result of how the radio handles DCDM/TDMA for working with simplex channels. The same configuration is needed for using the radio with a DMR Simplex Hotspot.

CPEditor will automatically set the timeslots to "ON" if the TX and RX Frequency is the same, expecting simplex operation.
It is possible to change them on the radio back to slot 1, slot 2 but it's unlikely that it would then work correctly with another simplex radio/hotspot.

CPEditor was set to do this automatically because a lot of people were having issues using the radio with a simplex hotspot. It was probably the most asked question of new users due to them selecting timeslot 2, as would be typical for simplex hotspots but the correct setting to get it to work would be "ON" (or "OFF" depending on the CPS/Firmware version)
By overriding the timeslot when RX/TX frequency is the same, it would allow hotspots to work as expected.
-73 de MM7DBT
clewis.it
0posts
Callsign: KN6KFR

Post by clewis.it »

Hmm. Ok, I understand where you're coming from. However, it seems silly to have to change that setting every time I write the couple, even if I'm reading it like that from the radio.

Would you be willing to make an exception for certain frequencies that are intended for direct Simplex communication? These are generally not used for hotspot operation.

https://va3xpr.net/dmr-simplex-frequencies/
3hx-klimbim

Post by 3hx-klimbim »

Hi, I added a special code (16777215) into the TX-Contacts, In RX there are the TG 9, 8, 99. In Codeplug you write Contact Name: all call and RX-Group Name all call . Hope it works for you. See attachment ...
Greets Harm, DJ3HX
clewis.it wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:32 pm Found an interesting bug, I think. I loaded a codeplug that includes the DMR simplex channels (let's use 441MHz for example). In the codeplug, I set transmit and receive frequencies to 441000000, and set the timeslots to 1, group calls, TG 99, everything looks right to me. When I load the codeplug, the radio shows all the same information *except* for the timeslots are set to "ON" instead of slot 1. I don't see this happening on any repeater channels, it only seems to be an issue with simplex. Any ideas on how to correct this issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.